Shopping Cart

What Would You Do If Your Whole Audience Disappeared?

Posted by Jennifer Wagner on
"If you don't have an email list, you don't have a business."

My mentor told me this years ago, and it still rings true.

If you have a huge following on Instagram, Youtube, or any social platform, but you don't have an email list, I have bad news:

Your entire audience can disappear in an instant.

But when you have an email list, you actually get to "own" your audience — the algorithm or a troll reporting your account doesn't get to decide the fate of your business.

Think about this: about 20% of my Instagram following sees a typical post of mine. That leaves 80% of my following completely in the dark!

But my email delivery rate sits somewhere around 99%, and my open rate is anywhere from 20-35%.

And even if people aren't opening my emails, they're still seeing my name in their inbox, reminding them that I exist.

So don't underestimate the power of having a list to share with that doesn't leave your audience in someone else's hands.

If you don't know where to start, here's what you can do to build your list (even without a website)!
  1. Create a lead magnet — something of value that someone wants so bad, they're willing to give you their email address to get it

  2. Create an email that automatically delivers the lead magnet when people sign up (every email marketing platform can do this)

  3. Use a full page form in a platform like Flodesk to collect emails. Flodesk hosts these forms, so you don't need a website to get started if you don't have one. Otherwise, create a pop-up or embed a sign-up form on your site.

  4. Share! From your blog, to Pinterest, to your Instagram or Youtube — wherever you already have attention, share your lead magnet so you can get those people in your camp.

 

(The Flodesk link is an affiliate link, but for your benefit — it'll give you 50% off your subscription!)